|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] "KI HINEH HA'YOM BA, BO'ER KA'TANUR; V'HAYU CHOL ZEDIM V'CHOL OSEH RISH'AH KASH, V'LIHAT OSAM HA'YOM HA'BA... ASHER LO YA'AZOV LAHEM SHORESH V'ANAF." - "For, behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven; and all the arrogant, and all who do wickedly, shall be stubble; and the day that comes shall burn them up, says HaSh-m Tzevakos, so that it will not leave them root nor branch." (Malachi 3:19)
2) [line 6] "V'ZARCHAH LACHEM YIR'EI SHEMI SHEMESH [TZEDAKAH U'MARPEI BI'CHNAFEHA [V'YTZASEM U'FISHTEM K'EGLEI MARBEK.]" - "But to you who fear My name the sun of righteousness shall arise with healing in its wings [and you shall go forth leaping like calves from the stall.]" (Malachi 3:20)
3) [line 7] MIS'ADNIN BAH - they will be refreshed, rejuvenated by it
6) [line 16] "NEDARI BA'KO'ACH" - "glorified with strength" (Shemos 15:6)
8) [line 17] "CHEMAH EIN LI; [MI YITNENI SHAMIR SHAYIS BA'MILCHAMAH, EFSE'AH VAH ATZISENAH YACHAD.]" - "Fury is not in Me; [who would set the briers and thorns against Me in battle? I would step through them, I would burn them together.]" (Yeshayah 27:4)
9) [line 19] SHE'KEVAR NISHBATI - since I have already sworn [not to rage against them]
10) [line 19] MI YITNENI SHE'LO NISHBATI - who could give Me [the opportunity to rescind My oath] as if I did not swear (and I would then rage against the evildoers of Yisrael)
11) [line 22] AVAKESH BA'NIGNI SHELAHEM - I will look at (a) their historical chronicles (RASHI); (b) their acts (TOSFOS)
12) [line 23] "ACH LO V'IY YISHLACH YAD, IM B'FIDO LAHEN SHU'A." - "But [there] in the mound [of the grave] He will not stretch out His hand, [even] if they (the buried) would cry out [to Him] about His trouble [which comes] to them." (Iyov 30:24) - The Gemara that follows interprets this verse to refer to the gradual punishment of Yisrael over the generations, to insure that they remain in existence as a nation.
13) [line 24] "AVAH AVAH, AVAH ASIMENAH; GAM ZOS LO HAYAH, AD BO ASHER LO HA'MISHPAT U'NESATIV." - "A ruin, a ruin, a ruin will I make it; such a thing has never been, until the executor of judgement comes, and I will deliver him into his hands." (Yechezkel 21:32) - The Gemara interprets this verse as referring to the sudden destruction of the idols worshippers
14a) [line 26] PID SHEL TARNEGOLES - (O.F. bechedure) the pickings of a
16) [line 28] MESHAV'IN LEFANAI - supplicate before Me
18) [line 31] "VA'ANI YISARTI CHIZAKTI ZERO'OSAM, V'ELAI YECHASHVU RA." - "Though I have trained them and strengthened their arms, yet they plan evil against Me." (Hoshea 7:15)
19a) [line 33] MISHTABE'ACH LEHU REBBI AVAHU L'MINEI B'RAV SAFRA D'ADAM
GADOL HU - Rebbi Avahu praised Rav Safra as a great person/Talmid Chacham,
in front of the Minim
20) [line 33] SHAVKU LEI MICHSA DI'TELEISAR SHENIN - they let him off from paying taxes for thirteen years (see Gemara Bava Basra 8a, where it states that the Rabanan are exempt from paying any taxes)
21) [line 34] ASHKECHUHU - they (the Minim) found him (Rav Safra)
23a) [line 35] MAN D'IS LEI SISYA/SUSYA - one who has (a) anger, fury; (b) a
24) [line 37] RAMU LEI SUDRA B'TZAVAREI - they threw a scarf around his neck [and started to choke him]
25a) [line 40] B'TANA'EI - in Mishnaic literature
27) [line 41] RAMINAN A'NAFSHIN U'ME'AININ - I put my mind to delving into [these types of questions]
28) [line 42] ADAM SHE'NOSHEH MI'SHENEI VENEI ADAM - a person who demands repayment of a loan from two people
29) [line 42] NIFRA - he (the creditor) takes repayment
32a) [line 45] TZADIK SHE'EINO GAMUR - a righteous person who is not
33) [line 46] "UMI'MIKDASHI TACHELU" - "[Slay the old, the youths and maidens, little children and women, but come not near any man upon whom is the mark, and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began with the old men who were before the house." (Yechezkel 9:6) - "My sanctuary" refers to the most righteous people of the nation.
34a) [line 46] MIKDASHI - My sanctuary
37) [line 48] "LIFNEI ZA'MO MI YA'AMOD..." - "Who can stand before His indignation? [And who can abide in the fierceness of His anger? His fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are broken asunder by Him.]" (Nachum 1:6)
38) [line 49] KAMAH ZA'MO? - How long does his fury last?
40) [last line] V'EIN KOL BERIYAH YECHOLAH L'CHAVEIN OSAH REGA - and not creature can pinpoint that instant
41) [line 3] B'IDNA - at the time
43) [line 6] "VA'TOMER HA'ASON... " - "And the donkey said to Bil'am, 'Am not I your donkey, upon which you have ridden ever since I was yours to this day? [Was I ever wont to do so to you?' And he said, 'No.']" (Bamidbar 24:30)
44) [line 7] LI'TE'INA B'ALMA - only for carrying loads (Bil'am was embarrassed that he rode on a donkey)
45) [line 8] AKRAI B'ALMA - only upon chance occasions
47) [line 14] "AMI ZECHOR NA MAH YA'ATZ BALAK MELECH MO'AV, U'MEH ANAH OSO BIL'AM BEN BE'OR, MIN HA'SHITIM AD HA'GILGAL, LEMA'AN DA'AS TZIDKOS HASH-M." - "O My people, remember now what Balak king of Moav planned, and what Bil'am the son of Be'or answered him, from the [Plains of] Shitim to the Gilgal; that you may know the righteousness of HaSh-m." (Michah 6:5)
48) [line 20] (ME'OVDEI KOCHAVIM) MI'SON'EIHEM SHEL YISRAEL - (lit. from the enemies of Yisrael) from Yisrael
49a) [line 21] SARID - a remnant
50) [line 22] "MAH EKOV LO KABO KEL; U'MAH EZ'OM LO ZA'AM HASH-M?" - "How can I curse? HaSh-m has not cursed. How can I anger? HaSh-m has not become angry." (Bamidbar 23:8)
51) [line 23] V'CHAMAH ZA'MO? REGA - And how long does his fury last? An instant.
52) [line 24] V'CHAMAH REGA? - And how long is an instant?
54) [line 26] "KI REGA V'APO; CHAYIM BI'RETZONO" - "For His anger lasts but a moment; in His favor is life; [weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.]" (Tehilim 30:6)
55) [line 27] "CHAVI CHI'M'AT REGA, AD YA'AVOR ZA'AM" - "wait a small moment, until the wrath passes" (Yeshayah 26:20)
56) [line 28] KI CHIVRA KARBALTA D'TARNEGOLA - when the comb of the rooster turns white
57) [line 30] SURAIKEI SUMKEI - (O.F. tajes) red speckles. It seems that at a certain point in the morning these red speckles on the comb turn white.
58) [line 31] BI'KRA'EI - by asking him questions on verses in the Torah
61) [line 32] ALATYEI - I will curse him
64) [line 34] LO LITZLI INISH TZELOSA D'MUSFEI BI'TELAS SHA'EI KAMAISA D'YOMA B'YOMA KAMA D'REISH SHATA B'YACHID - when he is alone (not with a quorum of people who are praying), a person should not pray the Musaf prayer (of Rosh HaShanah) in the first three hours of the day of Rosh HaShanah
65) [line 35] KEIVAN D'MIFKID DINA - since he is being remembered in
69) [line 38] TORAH... EIN HA'KADOSH BARUCH HU OSEH LIFNIM MI'SHURAS HA'DIN; DIN... OSEH LIFNIM MI'SHURAS HA'DIN - when HaSh-m is learning Torah, about which the verses use the word "Emes" - "truth," if He were to sit in judgment He would not compromise. With regard to judgment, however, about which the verses do not use the word "Emes," when He would sit in judgment, He would compromise.
70) [line 38] LIFNIM MI'SHURAS HA'DIN - (lit. further inside from the line of the law) to go beyond what the law requires
71) [line 39] YOM ME'ID TARAF BA'EGEL SIMAN - this is a mnemonic device for remembering the four statements of Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi that follow:
1. *Yom* refers to "Mai di'Chesiv, Asher Anochi Metzavecha *ha'Yom*..." (line 40)72) [line 44] TORFOS - shatter, mix up
73) [line 47] "MI YITEN V'HAYAH LEVAVAM ZEH LAHEM L'YIR'AH OASI KOL HA'YAMIM..." - "O that there were such a heart in them, that they would fear Me, and keep all of My commandments always, [that it might be well with them, and with their children forever!]" (Devarim 5:26)
74) [line 48] "V'LIBI CHALAL B'KIRBI" - "My heart is dead within me." (Tehilim 109:22) - The heart in this verse refers to the Yetzer ha'Ra.